Located on the northern shore of Germany is located the city of Hamburg. Hamburg holds the title of the second largest city in Germany and the 2nd largest port in Europe. Located between the North Sea and the Baltic Sea on the Southern tip of the Jutland Peninsular the city has close ties to the sea.
Known for its canals and river systems the water plays an integral part in the city's ambiance. Hamburg is located between the river Elbe and the river Alster and Bille. The city center is located between two lakes - the Binnenalster (Inner Lakes) and the Aussenalster (Outer Alster). All of the waterways, make Hamburg an ideal city for a day or evening boat ride through the many canals. Viewing the city from the water, provides a whole different perspective.
The skyline is a mixture of architecture styles. The city skyline is adorned by 5 church steeples including the famous St. Michael's Church.
In addition to it's waterways, the city of Hamburg is also known for its parks. The Hamburg State Park (Stadpark) is 300 acres of walking paths, greenery, statues and recreational activities located just outside the city center.
The Botanical Gardens of Hamburg (Planten un Blomen) are very beautiful and offer the largest Japanese Garden in Europe. For a late night stroll, the gardens offer illuminated fountains, concerts and special cultural events.
For the children, there is the Hamburg Zoo - Hagenbeck Tierpark. The Hamburg Zoo was one of he first zoos to have animals roaming in a natural environment without fences. The animals are contained by using natural boundaries - moats, rocks, etc. The zoo is home to over 2,500 animals and provides a nice way to spend the day with the family.
The city is ideal for taking a walking tour and for people watching. The parks, canals, architecture and water-edge paths provide many diverse opportunities for exploring. The city of Hamburg has over 2,300 bridges which criss-cross the many canals and rivers - more than any other city in Europe. The city also offers a variety of shopping - everything from small boutiques to larger brand name department stores. If you want to shop with a local Hamburg flair, shopping along the Monckebergstrasse is recommended.
Getting around the city is easy either by foot or by public transportation. The city offers transportation passes that are accepted on numerous busses and trains.
The population of the city of Hamburg is 1.7 Million people and the greater city of Hamburg has over 3.5 Million inhabitants. The roots of the city date back to 808 AD. Hamburg is the second wealthiest city in Europe just behind London. The city of Hamburg is over seven times larger than the city of Paris with 14% of the land used for parks and recreation.
Known for its cultural attractions, the City of Hamburg offers the Hamburg State Opera, Hamburg Phiharmonic Orchestra, the Hamburger Kunsthalle and the Gallerie der Gegenwart. The Hamburg Kunsthalle Art Museum is considered one of the most important art museums in Germany for contemporary and modern art. The museum has artwork that dates back to 1400 AD. In total, Hamburg serves as the home to some 79 museums.
Not for the children, Hamburg's famous Reeperbahn section is known for is nightlife, nightclubs, casinos, cabarets and adult shops. The famous Reeperbahn section has all of the nightlife and entertainment available. The Reeperbahn is also famous for giving the Beatles their start when they performed in a number of cabarets in 1967.
The city is a cultural mixing pot with 65% of the occupants of German decent. The remaining 35% are mostly Turkish, Afghan, Iranian, Russian, Polish, Portuguese and Ghanaian.
Overall the city has something for everyone, mixing, culture, nightlife, history and recreation all into one city.